Speak up if your friend is suicidal
If your friend is joking or talking about suicide, giving possessions away or saying goodbye, it is important to do something. You might tell their parents, partner, a trusted adult or contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. Even if you promised not to tell, what’s most important is that your friend needs your support. You can talk with them another time about why you had to get them help.
Possible warning signs
It is not always possible to know when someone is thinking about suicide but some of the possible warning signs include:
- Talking or writing about death or about feeling trapped with no way out.
- Feeling hopeless and withdrawing from family, friends and the community.
- Increasing drug and alcohol use.
- Giving away personal possessions, doing dangerous, life threatening things, having delusions or hallucinations.
- Regularly self-harming.
- Significant change in mood.