Online forum 

These forums are a place where you can ask other young people advice on dealing with tough times and share your advice on what has worked for you. Please remember that it does not replace professional advice.

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

You should also have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online communityLogin to post

Topic: What is wrong with me?

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. Zara is alone
    Zara is alone avatar
    1 posts
    18 August 2019

    Hi everyone

    This is my first time posting and I guess, first time trying to get some help

    I haven't been to a doctor to get help yet so I can't accurately describe/label what is wrong with me

    I can feel myself falling into a really dark place and there is nothing causing it. Last week, and again tonight, I started crying and I can't control it. Once the crying stops I can't breathe and I can't get my heart to beat at a normal pace

    I am afraid to go to a doctor because they usually just say have a nurofen and get some rest

    i am about to turn 23, I am in my last semester of uni and I don't know what I'll do when i graduate

    currently I am laying in bed and i feel like I'm floating, I also feel like I am being horrible to everyone I know because I am upset within myself but I don't know what to do about it

    I don't know what is wrong with me, I want to see a psychologist so badly but I just looked one up and it is $160 an hour and I can't afford it

    can anybody help point me in the right direction?

    I know I need help but I am so afraid to start

    1 person found this helpful
  2. geoff
    Life Member
    • Awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    geoff avatar
    905 posts
    19 August 2019 in reply to Zara is alone

    Hello Zara, please let me welcome you to the site and I'm truly sorry for how you are feeling and there doesn't have to be any particular reason why you are the way you are feeling, because mental illness is different than having a broken leg, that's something people can see, but not with how you are feeling.

    Can I suggest that you click on 'The Facts' and scroll down until you see 'K-10', it's a depression test and try to do it several times, but not straight after the other, but different times of the day and keep these results.

    Then can you write down how you feel, that is, what you can do or what you actually do during the day and what stops you from being able to do, and just add to this list whatever you feel.

    Book an appointment with your doctor and then show them the list as well as the K-10 results, then they will make diagnose you and then refer you to a psychologist if needed.

    Ask them about the 'mental health plan', this entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions per year to see a psychologist who you feel comfortable with.

    You can also contact Kids Helpline who talk to people up to the age of 25 on 1800 55 1800.

    Please don't be afraid, we are here to help you along this journey and hope you can get back to us.

    Take care.


  3. I don't even know
    I don't even know avatar
    14 posts
    23 August 2019 in reply to Zara is alone

    Hi Zara,

    Your situation sounds really hard at the moment. It's great that you can recognise that you're falling into a dark place even though it probably doesn't feel great. You're not horrible. I think Geoff's advice is good, doing the k10 test or at least writing out your symptoms before seeing a GP might help get your point across if it seems like they're not helping you.

    Private psychologists aren't the only option for help. I'm not sure if you've heard of Headspace. They provide free mental health support for people aged 12-25. They're centres are located around the country and online. You can call them up or go to their website for more info. They've been really helpful in my experience :)

    You mentioned you're going to uni, and although you're leaving soon, they usually have support on campus for people dealing with issues like you've described. That might be the easiest option. Please seek some form of help even if its just a phone helpline to start off with like Lifeline or Kids Helpline.

    I really hope you get the help you need soon!