Online forum 

These forums are a place where you can ask other young people advice on dealing with tough times and share your advice on what has worked for you. Please remember that it does not replace professional advice.

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

You should also have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online communityLogin to post

Topic: University Woes

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. two-dee
    two-dee avatar
    16 posts
    13 May 2019

Hello all,

Since I last posted here, a lot has happened in my life. I have now gone off to university to study law; a degree that was my #1 choice and dream degree in high school. I've managed to slip into the whole uni life; attending my lectures/tutes, doing a small number of outside activities to break up the monotony and making new friends (for the most part). Recently however, I have been feeling uninspired with the actual law part of my degree; I actually get more excited and inspired to learn by my non-law subjects, mainly due to the content being more interesting and straightforward. I feel that my gripes with my degree are slowly starting to affect my lifestyle; as I am constantly procrastinating and coming up with every excuse in the book to not get my work done; knowing fully well that exams are less than a month away. Additionally, it is also affecting the little friendships that I have, since I feel increasingly inclined to sit by myself rather than associate with my friends. All of this is bringing back painful memories of my awkward junior years of high school; a time where I was completely lost as a person. I know it sounds like I'm rambling on a little bit and I apologise but does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope? I am open to anything at this point.

2. Quercus
    Community Champion
    • Outstanding members who have volunteered their time to support others here on the forums
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    Quercus avatar
    61 posts
    14 May 2019 in reply to two-dee

Hello two-dee,

I'll throw the idea out there... Is law still your dream?

It's ok if it isn't. I believe often we have to experience something first to get some idea of what we want.

There are two things that I would suggest from my own experience feeling a bit lost about and unsure of my degree...

1. Research the units for the entire course. This can give you an idea of whether future units feel equally as boring to you. Also consider the first year of any degree is the foundation. Sometimes this means accepting you need to learn the essential basics even if they feel tedious and boring in order to understand future units.

2. Visit a career counselor at your university. They will have had this same discussion many times before and can be very helpful.

As to withdrawing from friends what do you think is making you want to be alone? Are your friends helpful to study with or distracting? If you asked for help with study would they support you in this?

This probably isn't very helpful but I wanted you to know you are heard.

Nat

3. two-dee
    two-dee avatar
    16 posts
    14 May 2019 in reply to Quercus

Hello Nat,

Law is still very much a dream of mine but as you said, it's probably the fact that this is the 'foundation' part of the course and it'll get tedious and boring (although since I posted this, one of my law subjects has gotten much more interesting from when I started it). I am a little familiar with the modules for this course. I think first year is the only time where one can pick non-law subjects, but anything after focuses exclusively on law subjects. In terms of staff, I feel a little uneasy about approaching them for help. This is probably because I relied a lot on my teachers throughout Year 12 and I do not want to make the same mistake. Also because I doubt they care about one students problems, they probably don't even know I exist.

In terms of friends, every friend that I have made so far have been very helpful to study with. My main study group are all very good people and we strive in helping each other get over the line. But that's my problem, I feel like I'm relying on them way too much and want to be able to handle this degree on my own. Additionally I believe that just about every one of my friends doing this course are all better than I'll ever be; since they all manage to easily get distinctions while I just barely scrape by with a pass. I think because of those two factors alone I don't really want to associate with anyone at all.

I know I sound a bit selfish and I apologise, but I aspire for this chapter of my life to revolve around me and not anyone else.

Two-Dee

1 person found this helpful