Online forum 

These forums are a place where you can ask other young people advice on dealing with tough times and share your advice on what has worked for you. Please remember that it does not replace professional advice.

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

You should also have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online communityLogin to post

Topic: i feel worthless

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. anoncreate
    anoncreate avatar
    2 posts
    29 October 2019
    all my thoughts are negative it’s like in any situation i will find a way to feel bad about myself. i think too much, i think about everything from the tiniest thing someone will say or the way someone will act without even realising i will take so to heart and it will genuinely affect me because it stays on my mind for so long it’s like i can’t tell if i’m just mega insecure and feeling bad for myself or if i’m genuinely upset. i hate feeling like this, i don’t want to tell anyone and i never talk about my feelings because it makes me uncomfortable because i don’t want people to look at me differently and also i feel like my problems aren’t worth someone listening to because i feel like it’s not a real problem but at the same time if i’m constantly feeling sad then how can that be not be a problem? i’m just confused because i’ve felt like this for so long and i’ve always denied that there’s been something wrong but when it comes to that i don’t even wanna talk because i’m insecure of what people have said about me like why can someones opinion that doesn’t even know me affect me so much i don’t know what’s wrong with me and i don’t know how to deal with it sometimes i wonder if i wasn’t here would that just make me feel better because stressing about my life that feels so worthless is getting me no where.
  2. therising
    Valued Contributor
    • A special award for members who go above and beyond to support others here on the forums
    therising avatar
    85 posts
    29 October 2019 in reply to anoncreate

A warm welcome to you anoncreate

I was saying to someone just the other day that it's so hard to get out of the habit of thinking. I do realise that sounds incredibly strange but it's kind of like a skill to be mastered, or should I say re-mastered.

I imagine there was a time in your life where you didn't think too much. Most of us have a pretty masterful life in this way when we're young. Then we start being taught how to think our way out of being our most authentic self. Suddenly we may find our self in a world of intense thinking, wondering 'How did I get here?' We can be left wondering how we stopped feeling our way through life instinctively. We can go from highly energetic, creative, imaginative active little folk to folk who have the imagination and energy zapped right out of us by those who use phrases such as 'Don't be so ridiculous. You just don't think, do you?! What's wrong with you?!' The list goes on.

Bit of a strange question but can you recall the last time you didn't think? Perhaps an idea popped into your head from out of nowhere and you just went with it, without thinking 'What would folk think if I did that?' Yes, lot of thinking based stuff here. It can be draining and overwhelming, a bit like depression.

Perhaps there's someone in your life you know who can help you remaster not thinking. Do you know a high vibing energetic person who loves to just instinctively go with the flow? If you know someone like this, you could ask them to help you with the soulful exercise of not being in 2 minds. You know when you feel 'Oh, I'd love to do that!' and then you begin thinking 'What would others think'. A high viber will help you focus in on being or feeling your natural self, the self that is positively fueled by imagination.

If you can, begin feeling more of your natural childlike self. I know this is hard to do in depression, I really do. I'd experienced the pain and torture of depression for many years myself in the past. You can start this with a simple exercise perhaps - look into the mirror and say 'Gee, you have beautiful eyes!' Don't think beyond that. You mention 'Sometimes i wonder if i wasn’t here would that just make me feel better because stressing about my life that feels so worthless is getting me nowhere.' Rephrasing this to read 'Sometimes I wonder if I (the thinker) wasn't here would that just make me feel better because thinking my way through life leads me to feel worth less. Thinking is getting me nowhere.'

:)

1 person found this helpful
  3. geoff
    Life Member
    • Awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    geoff avatar
    901 posts

Hello Anoncreate, thanks for being able to post your thread, I know that it wouldn't have been easy for you because the way you think affects your emotions and your emotions affect your behaviour.

Treating these negative thoughts aren't particularly straightforward to overcome by yourself because you can react to a problem more than it's justified, that's not your fault and you need to discuss these with a psychologist.

All of this is going to affect your daily life because as soon as a positive thought comes to mind, you quickly pull it down by thinking about it in a negative way.

How, why or what other people say to you that begins to criticise a comment you've made doesn't necessarily make them right, it's only their opinion, so please don't punish yourself and would like to continue this with you.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

2 people found this helpful
  4. anoncreate
    anoncreate avatar
    2 posts
    29 October 2019 in reply to geoff

Hi Geoff

its hard for me to express my emotions and i think i actually need to talk to someone about this to feel better but my problem is i don’t want to talk about it with my parents and family, i’m living with my mum and we aren’t close and fight a lot about school and me in general which doesn’t really make anything better (i’m 16) i just don’t really know what i’m supposed to do because i don’t really know what’s wrong and why i’m upset because i just tear myself down it’s like that’s all my thoughts are but i don’t even know what that means. i just want someone to talk to but i don’t want to talk about it with people i’m close with and i don’t know why. all of this is making me drift from people i’ve been close with because i’m scared to open up and just feeling so insecure it’s like i can’t be bothered to even have a relationship

5. geoff
    Life Member
    • Awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    geoff avatar
    901 posts

Hello Anoncreate, nice to hear back from you.

Sometimes it maybe difficult to talk to parents, family or friends just because of the situation you're in as their line of thinking is completely the reverse to yours.

There are a few places you can contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 and they counsel people aged 5 up to 25 years old and dress in casual clothes and could be more appropriate for you.

ReachOut can be contacted online, Headspace but perhaps if you can google this 'free counselling for a 16 year old Australia', may provide better information, but if possible you can let us know what's happening, we're concerned about you.

Take care.

Geoff.