Online forum 

These forums are a place where you can ask other young people advice on dealing with tough times and share your advice on what has worked for you. Please remember that it does not replace professional advice.

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community.

You should also have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

Join the online communityLogin to post

Topic: Feeling isolated

2 posts, 0 answered
  1. Autumnflowers
    Autumnflowers avatar
    1 posts
    25 July 2019
    I don't really know how to talk about this, I'm new to the forum. I moved to Australia to be with my boyfriend, but I feel totally isolated. My family live on the opposite side of the world so even talking to them can be difficult with the time difference but we manage it. It took me a while to get a job as where I'm living is very quiet so there's not much work, even then I only get a few hours in the evening, it sucks because my boyfriend works 9-5 so I'm home alone all day and then I go to work so we hardly get to talk, either that or hes playing games to unwind from work and is so immersed in it he often doesn't hear when I try to make conversation or gives short answers (honestly other than that hes an amazing partner). I'm trying to get to know people at work but our managers don't like us talking so I'm not getting the opportunity to talk to anyone. I've tried making friends with my boyfriends friends but there's only one person that's extended their friendship to me but we also work opposite hours so we don't get to hang out much. I'm still learning to drive and have no neighbours so I'm trapped in the house. Im on a working holiday visa so I can't really study and have no real qualifications. Its winter here and constantly rains so even going for a walk isn't really an option. I'm plagued with nightmares every night, its making me incredibly jumpy and I feel like theres always something lurking in the shadows, I'm very judgmental of myself, can hardly sleep or over sleep and want to cry constantly. I'm used to travelling and making friends and have done it for the past 4 years but this time things just aren't clicking for me. We've signed a year long lease so I cant move and my boyfriend has said if im still unhappy at that point we can move elsewhere. Im just feeling really lonely and the thought of this for a year is daunting
    1 person found this helpful
  2. quirkywords
    Community Champion
    • Outstanding members who have volunteered their time to support others here on the forums
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    quirkywords avatar
    141 posts
    26 July 2019 in reply to Autumnflowers

Autumnflowers,

Welcome to the forum. This is a supportive forum full of kind people.

It can be difficult coping with moving to a new town or a new state let alone a new country.

I can understand when you work at night and your boyfriend works all day that it is hard to spend time together,

At the weekends when you are both not working do you get a chance to spend time and relax together, or can you go for a walk together.

I am wondering if you could some volunteer work during the day time and /or spend time on a hobby or something that interests you.

I wonder if writing down your thoughts in a journal may help. I overthink a lot and have trouble sleeping but I try hard to write down my thoughts so they are on paper and not in my head.

Your boyfriend sounds very supportive and is aware of your feelings of isolation and unhappiness bout where you are leaving.

I find just going for a walk during the day you will meet people even if it is just to smile and say hello at first.

I often talk to people who are gardening and the like to talk about their plants.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a post and share your story.

Quirky