What are the options?

There are times when our problems seem too big to sort out on our own. If you’re feeling like this, one of the best things you can do is talk to someone. While it’s important that you let your friends know how you’re feeling, it’s often best to talk to an adult or a professional – just because they’re likely to know more about what to do.


Who can support you?

Seeing a General Practitioner (GP) is a good place to start. GPs are used to recognising and treating common problems, including depression, anxiety, and alcohol and drug concerns. They can help you to work out the best ways to cope with how you’re feeling and make a plan to get through it.

If you need to talk to someone right away or don’t feel ready to see a counsellor or doctor, you could try telephone counselling services, which are available free or for the cost of a local call, or online counselling.


What will happen when I talk to my GP?

Talking to your GP is the best thing you can do to support yourself. Starting one conversation will set you on a path where you can take control of your problems and make the changes in your life to help you feel better. It might not be a straight line, but you can get there with support.

Your GP will usually ask questions to learn about you and how you’re feeling. They need this information to help them work out what’s going on and what might be the best way forward.

It’s important to be honest. What you tell the doctor will be kept confidential – they won’t tell your family that you’ve had an appointment with them, or anything that happened during your appointment (unless they are very concerned about your safety).


What if I didn't gel with the first person I spoke to?

If you’re uncomfortable with the first person you talk to, it’s okay to try someone else. Some people find it easier to talk to a doctor who is the same gender, is closer to them in age or is not their family doctor. It can be useful to involve your parents, carers or a friend when you get help, so they can support you.